Wyoming antelope hunt

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
Whew, after a 14.5 hour drive yesterday, I’m back from my Wyoming antelope hunt and somewhat refreshed (at least enough to surf the net). Earlier this year I learned that a group of us had drawn two doe tags each, but in our third choice unit. I had never hunted this part of the state before, but we were committed. Since I was going to be out several hundred dollars in fuel and hotel costs, I figured “what the heck, I’ll get a leftover buck tag for the area to the north.” (There were no leftover buck tags in our area.)

So, with three tags in hand, I headed north from New Mexico on September 29, stopping to visit friends along the way, and finally arriving in eastern Wyoming at about 5:30 AM on opening morning (October 1). I met up with my buds from Texas and we made a plan. We’d been unable to scout the area, so we just headed to the biggest piece of state trust land we could see on the map. In general, we tried to make the most of it, but we saw more hunters than goats and soon got discouraged. We looked over several other parcels of state and walk-in areas, but were not successful. Since we needed to check into the hotel and get squared away for the week, we headed back into town. We checked in, grabbed a quick bite, and consulted our maps (BLM and those for walk-in areas). We picked a couple likely looking parcels and headed out for a quick evening hunt. The first walk-in area we checked turned out to be a gold mine for us. Nestled amongst the 2.5 sections of barren Wyoming landscape was a verdant green circle field of alfalfa – a veritable goat magnet! We spotted numerous antelope in and around the field and promptly planned a stalk. We crawled into position about an hour later and I totally flubbed what should have been a gimme shot at 304 yards just as the sun was setting. Somewhat bummed, we returned to the hotel, grilled up some steaks, and hit the sack with plans to return the next morning.

On the morning of Day 2, we left the truck and trudged towards the field before shooting hours. Halfway in, we spotted four antelope laying in the short brown grass right in our path. It wasn’t yet legal shooting light, so we spent a few minutes getting into position for a shot. When it finally lightened enough to shoot, my buddy from Texas filled the first tag of the hunt with a nice fat doe. While he tagged and field dressed his antelope, his young apprentice and I continued the walk to the alfalfa field. We eased over a slight rise to find goats already in the field. We belly crawled under a fence and to the top of the hill, where I set him up with the short sticks for a steady rest. His .25-06 soon spoke, and another nice doe was ready for the trip to Texas. (Sorry, I don’t have their permission to post photos, so you all will have to take my word that antelope actually got shot.)

This field was getting a lot of pressure, so we opted to spend the afternoon elsewhere. We found another likely looking walk-in area, but filled no more tags that day. On Day 3, we returned to the alfalfa in the walk-in area that had been good to us the day before. Having observed antelope at this location the previous day, we had a good feel for their approach and escape routes, and set up there instead of directly in or around the field, which was already staked out by several hunters when we arrived. This worked to our benefit, and I was able to take a nice young doe at about 80 yards as she tried to sneak out.

Troy3Oct2012AntelopeDoe.jpg

With three antelope on ice, and the first of two cold fronts rolling in, we decided to head north and do a little windshield scouting for my buck hunt. We looked over several sections of state, BLM, and walk-in land, but didn’t see anything very promising. On the drive back to Lusk, we decided that if the front moved through fast and the next morning was clear, we’d return to the nearby walk-in area to see if we could fill more doe tags.

Day 4 dawned clear, cold, and windy. We assumed that other hunters would also be working the alfalfa field, we again opted to watch approach and departure routes. We got into position as the day lightened, only to find that the antelope had gone to the field before daylight and were already feeding. Apparently, no other hunters had staked out the field. My two buds were further back in the walk-in area overlooking the most likely antelope escape route, so I made a wide swing out through the dry grass and crept up a hill from which I could peek into the field. At first, the antelope were way too far for a shot, but another truckload of hunters circled the field and graciously nudged them my way. As the first four filtered by at about 120 yards, I selected the largest of the group and sent a TTSX on the way. The doe collapsed in a heap while the rest of the herd (about 15 animals) headed out east towards my buds. They were able to pick off another one on the way out.

Troy4Oct2012AntelopeDoe.jpg

I hiked out, got the truck, and drove around to the closer entry point to the walk-in area. I wheeled the game cart down and we gathered up both antelope. At the truck, we quartered them and put them on ice. We headed back to town for a bite of lunch, but I kept the walk-in area map on the console, just in case. About two miles from town, I spotted a group of antelope off the side of the road in an area that I thought was accessible. I pulled over to consult the map and sure enough, the goats were out in the middle of a walk-in area. We quickly formulated a plan for a push. I was dropped off at one end of the section, while the other two guys drove a mile down to the designed parking area. They crept out into the section, and once they were in position I eased out into the field. I let the antelope spot me at about 250 yards, which nudged perfected towards the other two for an easy 130 yard shot, filling our sixth and final doe tag. We carted her out and headed in for lunch. While the other fellas quartered the doe, I loaded up to head north as the second cold front swept in.

The first stop was a large chunk of state land mixed with private walk-in area. I circled far around the most remote section of state land and glassed back into it. In short order, I’d spotted four antelope on a distant hillside. I committed a couple landmarks to memory, then drove back around to the walk-in area parking spot. Short story – I made a nearly perfect stalk that ended a pretty nice buck busting me and making tracks. So, further north. Then east, way off the beaten path into a rugged mix of BLM and private walk-in. From atop a hill, I spotted several antelope down in a broken, rocky bowl about a mile and a half into the private walk-in area. I drove back down the road and got as close as I could to their position. Then I set off on foot and dropped into the bowl where I’d last seen the herd. Not wanting to mess this one up, I played it slow and steady, glassing every few yards to make sure I didn’t blow them out. Finally, I spotted horns just over a nearby ridge. I circled to get the wind right, then moved in slowly. After much sneaking, creeping, and belly crawling through grass and cactus, I was able to make a clean shot to kill this little buck. I boned him out to pack him the half mile to the truck, closing out my Wyoming hunt.

Troy4Oct2012AntelopeBuck.jpg

It was nice to get it done too, ‘cuz the next morning we awoke to about two inches of snow for the drive home! We had a great time in Wyoming - great folks, beautiful country, and some pretty decent hunting. Can't wait to try again next year!

HOMAnimated_zpsa2612f08.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice story. I applied for Wyoming Antelope this year with a buddy and did not draw. We are leaving in 18 days for a Deer hunt near Cody. Congratulations on your 3 Antelope.

Originally Posted By: Grandpa Fudgethanks for taking us on your hunt!!

What he said. Nice pics.

I used to hunt around Casper years ago on private land and really enjoyed it as a tune up for hunting back home.

Good job Ram. Looks like a great time. I've never hunted antelope, might actually think of starting.

Nice pics and a great story too.

Really liked your story, I will be up near Buffalo, WY in two weeks doing the same thing, it is always a fun hunt. CONGRATS to you and your buddies.

That is a great story and totally made me jealous! How much meat do you get from an antelope? We should try to link up and hunt some song dogs now that the temperature has finally dropped.

Not that much, but when you put three of them in the freezer, it's worth it. I'm totally booked up until mid-December, but we could probably squeeze something in then, no? Maybe on the 8th or 9th?

Back